Diving Deeper

Tsuwano’s Tangible Cultural Property: Honmachi Street


The Honmachi street starts from the north end of the Tonomachi Street, and leads towards north.

In the early Edo period (1600-1868) document named “Tsuwano Chuuryou On-nawa Estate Register” this are was named “本市” but on the map of the Genroku period (1688-1704), it was already named Honmachi Street. At the time the Honmachi districts 1 was called Kami-no-ichi (上ノ町), District 2 was Nakanoichi (中ノ町) and District 3 was Shimoichi (下市).


There was a square in the Honmachi area, which was separated from the samurai Tonomachi area by the Somon gate and the Oudobu (water channel). In this small plaza fire fighting equipment storage and an official bulletin board was built.  The “Tsuwano castle town Samurai estate detailed map” map from the Genroku era (1688 -1704 ) and the “Town estate big map” from the Kyouhou era (1716-1736) already have the Traditional Store of Fundoya Shichiemon and Takatsuya Ito Hakusekido‘s name and location marked, which still stand today. The economic ups and downs of local industries caused a few changes in the types and names of the shops, but the basic structure of the castle town remained in the same way, which it self is of great value.


In the fire of 6th year of Kaei era (1853) half of the castle town burned down, from the palace of the domain lord, through samurai houses all the way to the merchant houses in the Honmachi area. The remaining buildings were mostly built after this fire, thus 165 years old.


Other notable buildings in the area:

Back to