Diving Deeper

Tsuwano’s Tangible Cultural Property: Tonomachi Street


Tonomachi-doori (or samurai district street) is the part of Tsuwano town where the Sakazaki clan created their daimyo (domain lord) residence. The clan was appointed as the domain lord of Tsuwano domain as a appreciation of their distinguished service in the Sekigahara battle of 1600. The district was later inherited by the next domain lord clan, the Kamei clan.


According to maps of the town from the Genroku period (1688-1704) the space between the Yasaka Shrine and the Soumon gate was called Tonomachi-doori, with the residence of chief retainers, the Tago clan (rank of 1000 koku wealth) Makitosho clan (rank of 900 koku) and the Fusesaburoemon clan (rank of 700 koku) lining the road.


At the north end of the tonomachi-street a big gate was erected with a guard’s house on the side, for surveillance of the road, and anyone who wanted to enter the samurai district.

The waterways with koi fish swimming in them, were designed in the time of Meiji period’s (1868-1912) national road building project, to revive the Edo period feeling.


In the Edo period, the water from Taikodani and also from the Tsuwano River was directed to the base of the mountain on the west side. The flow split into two near Yamane-chou (currently the Chikufuuken confectionary shop), and through the Oomizo water channel (which was on the east side of Tonomachi-doori) back to Tsuwano river.


The walls and gates are mainly from the reconstruction of Edo period townscape done in the 1970s, with exception of the Tago gate and wall, the foundation stones of the Hankou domain school which is from the Edo period(1600-1868), and the stone walls of the waterways, which are from Meiji period (1868-1912). The same way the stone foundation at the Catholic Church are the remaining of the Meiji period’s Hori residence. 

Back to 

登録有形文化財 津和野地図